Friday, August 13, 2010

The Art of a DOT

My Cupcake Cake!

This week we talked about dots, 
little dots, 
big dots, 
long dots, 
dots turned into lines and shapes...
My Lemon Cake from last week was a little dense, 
so this week I really worked on having a light and fluffy cake.

I started with an amazing chocolate sheet cake recipe from one of my favorite recipe blogs

My cakes stuck in my pan a bit...lots to learn about baking
to get ready for class, I assembled my cake with a cheesecake filling and gave it a crumb coat...
At class we transfered images onto our cakes using parchent paper and piping gel...
then we filled them in. I chose a cupcake! 

I love cupcakes, they're ageless.
kids, teens, adults...dogs- everyone loves cupcakes
Cupcake on now time for the finishing touches...
 pheew...it looks like a cake.
I was a little nervous with my first real cake- but I like it!

I was so proud I took a picture with my teacher, Connie- who I love!
She helps keep this light and fun.
(Cakes should be fun! They can be beautiful and elegant -but definitely fun)
Now for the homework...practice, practice, practice.

This weekend is Father's Day!
We loaded up our Daddy with a patio set up here in Chicago,
poor Bri has to leave his grill every summer- the best time of year to grill!!!
Not this year...we got him a mini charcoal replacement.
  
In honor of the grilling theme of Father's Day I made Brian a hamburger cake!
Using, of course the same techniques from class this week.
I loved how it turned out...very whimsical.
(If not a little off centered-ha ha)
and finished off with dots on the side.

1 comment: