Sunday, August 1, 2010

And So It Begins.....

First Class...

-buttercream icing
-level and layer a cake
-stacking and icing the cake
-smoothing buttercream
-startip decoration
homework: practice, practice, practice
 

I was determined from step one to follow and practice even the simplest things from class...no jumping ahead or skipping steps.
I started with store bought Wilton icing and store bought sugar cookies...

Then I star tipped the crap out of those cookies ;)

Okay, now for practical application...

first I need to bake a cake and make some buttercream icing
(oh dear...up until this point I could barely make box cakes)
the cast
following a recipe I found online for lemon cake religiously,I successfully made my two 8 inch cake rounds


next level the cake
then layer the cake
then damn, fill, and stack the cake



I did a thin crumb coat first and let it dry to catch all the crumbs and leave a really clean icing look.
I used parchment paper and my palm to smooth it even more than this before I decorated and garnished.
 More Stars and a fresh lemon dipped in sugar to garnish, and my lemon cake was complete!
I've since learned a much better way to candy a lemon, other fruit, or even fresh flowers, you name it...let me know if you want the details
beautiful from the inside out...reminds me of someone ;) ha
 
It was a Hit!!
A lemon cake, with a lemon cheesecake filling...yummy
(if maybe a little dense, but I learned that over-mixing can cause that...lesson learned)

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog Emily and YUMM! Your cakes are gorgeous and you have so much talent. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete